Types of hosting services
A hosting service entails hoarding and/or sharing certain web content on a hosting server managed by a web hosting provider. There are various groups of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glimpse at them. Doing so, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to own a web page, email box accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service delivered by some providers, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions often involve adverts beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific span of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a completely false interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would split the load between individual groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a large amount of pictures with buddies or associates since the solution is typically free of charge. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your e-mails. Some distributors provide web hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you want to create an email address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred visitors, you may have a problem with your web hosting quotas. Embedding the video will permit you to own as many video files as you want to without hassling about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to have a web site. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can have databases and email box accounts, upload video clips, etc. At WebTronicLife, for instance, you can observe web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one place. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse compared with the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for particular web content only.